Username:

Password:

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The "One post to download" rule  (Read 10476 times)
DarkMadness
Medusa Golden Knight

« on: May 12, 2009, 06:24:03 AM »

According to me, that "need one post in order to gain access to download links" rule doesn't do any good to the forum. Rather than encouraging users for posting regularly, I feel like it pollutes the forum with idiotic comments like "Nice pictures" or "Good pics", from people who post once and won't ever post once again. Maybe would it be better to just forget about that rule ?
FrozetaShintoriFan
Medusa Golden Knight

I know everything about photomanips and this forum

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 06:39:14 AM »

It's not that bad... If someone wants to post, they will post. If someone doesn't want to post, they won't post more than what they need to download things. Better one post than none.

I had thought about the idea of making them answer some polls in order that they can see the Descargas section, although I don't know if that's feasible. I'm just a mod, and only an Admin can do those things.

Anyway, the "Nice post" comments aren't that annoying, are they?
Linkrlz
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:19:55 AM »

Yes ^^;

I usually see "NEW" and I think it may be someone making a nice conversation that I can join in but then get disappointed to see it's just a useless post @.@
DarkMadness
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 03:39:34 AM »

Quote from: Random one-post guy
Hello

Quote from: FrozetaShintoriFan
Hi there. Did you post that in order to access to the Downloads section or you're planning to be an important member of this community?

That message was never answered, so let me doubt about the will of the said guy to become an active member of the forum... And I'll go along Linkrlz's point, I often expect to see something interesting when there are new posts... just to see a pointless post.
Aegis_Eternity
Gorgon Knight

Darkness Shadow, Class B

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 08:03:19 PM »

It would have been better if that person had at least posted it in the Guestbook thread where it belongs.

Thou may find peace in your just imprisonment.
Oblivion is yours, forever.
bigin23
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 01:20:37 AM »

The problem is, increasing it means they need to spam more, and will, instead of joining in discussion. But how do you make sure new users only post in the guestbook? Maybe a guest could look at most of the forum, but a newly-registered user can only see "introduce yourself"?

That way people wanting to post to download can, and the rest of the forum won't be seen by people who don't want to use it.

My Stories
Archive of Round 1-6 zip
Round 7
Hope to get back to it soon.
FrozetaShintoriFan
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 01:36:19 AM »

I was thinking about deleting all that kind of posts, but that would be a bit harsh. Well... as I say, if someone wants to be an active member of this community, they will be. If they don't care at all about it, there's nothing we can do, we're not people's parents.

And yes, it's a pain in the ass when you find a new post in a nice thread, and it's just "Hi!".
toodlum
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 04:45:35 PM »

I was about to make a post about this, so I am very thankful that others have mutual feelings on this situation.  To meet compliance for the downloads section, perhaps a suggestion of one post and  a contribution of some sort.  That way everyone benefits. 

...and by contribution I mean something that has not already been posted on this board, or any picture that has not been seen a million times before on other websites.
Aegis_Eternity
Gorgon Knight

Darkness Shadow, Class B

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 02:18:23 AM »

...and by contribution I mean something that has not already been posted on this board, or any picture that has not been seen a million times before on other websites.
Umm... I haven't posted anything like that either, do you want to get rid of me too??

FrozetaShintoriFan
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 04:05:25 AM »

Yup, Aegis, you're not welcome here. Take your filthy posts and go away Wink

Not a chance, man, you're a good poster. You've created some interesting polls, and you know things we don't (i. e. you recognised "flap", Solid Girl's celebrity). You're the kind of poster that, although seldom posts new material, tries to comment accurately in order to make a worth-reading post, even if it lacks of ASFR. Keep it on, mate!
DarkMadness
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 04:18:00 AM »

I was about to make a post about this, so I am very thankful that others have mutual feelings on this situation.  To meet compliance for the downloads section, perhaps a suggestion of one post and  a contribution of some sort.  That way everyone benefits. 

If you ask me, that would only promote posting of random links because no one will take the time to look whether the link has already been posted or not.

Anyway, I should have asked this earlier, but what IS the point of asking for one post in order to download ? There's already another filter since the Download section is restricted to registered users, isn't that enough ?
Aegis_Eternity
Gorgon Knight

Darkness Shadow, Class B

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 04:42:24 AM »

I would assume because bots don't make even a single post for themselves.
I don't know about now, but this forum did have some problems with spambots in the past.
And, you can never tell how many silent bot-created accounts there are even now. Unfortunately captchas don't stop all of them.

I doubt letting them loose to leech and/or report links in the Download section would bode well.
Yes, for some reason there are bots that trawl forums for Megaupload/Rapidshare/etc. links and batch report them all as 'inappropriate' to the hoster, or some such nonsense, even if the file is completely innocent, and linked to from innocent forums.
I really don't know why people spend time making such things.

FrozetaShintoriFan
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 04:51:16 AM »

Darkan, the "mods & admin" team are already discussing what should be done with all the "One-Post-Wonders". We'll act soon.
mangoman
Medusa Golden Knight

Sekikumo
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 07:29:52 AM »

Perhaps you could just ask for a little more in that one "first post" they make.  For example, ask them to describe a bit about why they like ASFR, what their favorite type of transformation is, when they first realized they were into it, etc.  You could even just ask them to vote in the polls that ask those very questions.  Basically, just have them confirm that they are here because they want to be here, and not because they want to cause trouble. 

To be honest, I think something like this would be a good idea for any new users, not just ones who want to make downloads.  For example, we could only allow access to the "general" section of the boards until they make a descriptive introductory post.  The general section still has enough information about what we're about for those who are just visiting to get an idea of what our community is about, but restricts access to the real "content" of the site to only those willing to make some sort of commitment.  It would also get more would-be lurkers involved in actually contributing to the community.  I know I started here as a lurker, but when I realized I actually could help by answering some people's questions, I came out of the woodwork and now am on my why to becoming a more active member.

Anyway, just my suggestion.  Sorry for rambling on a bit there.
Azru
Gorgon Knight

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 09:23:40 AM »

Well it seems that it has been forgotten that if you try to stop something that you are only encouraging people to do otherwise. As far as being a lurker I like it. As to contribute... Sad ,Well lets say there is still a great deal that has been found. And it proves to be a utter challenge to find new material. Well I am done being defensive. Good day. 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: