Username:

Password:

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking up formal names for the cause of inanimate transformations  (Read 1973 times)
sovietmisaki
Gorgon Warrior

« on: May 11, 2015, 03:19:42 AM »

So. I've been thinking recently, we all know of how gargoyles and some species of trolls in fictional works turn into stone when they're exposed to sunlight, and the gaze of creatures like gorgons and basilisks can have the same effect on vulnerable organisms. We know "petrification" is the result and "petrifying" is the process.

Now I know there ought to be some fancy pseudo-scientific terms that's equivalent to something like "the curse of gargoyles" or "petrifying gaze" and whatnot. Something like "Photopetrasclerosis" now I know I might have it completely wrong , and someone could have a much better idea, though this idea has been forming in my head for a little while now. like if a normal human character where to somehow become cursed with a spell that causes them to undergo a transformation into a statue if they go into direct sunlight or something. Similar to sunlight being anathema to most vampires. and then revert back to normal after the sun goes down/ get moved into a safe location where they revert after a short period of time, even if the sun is still high in the sky.

Something like "Sunlight Induced Petrification" or "Magical Gaze/Contact Induced Hardening" is along the lines of what I'm trying to get at.

bububub2
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 12:50:05 PM »

Hrrrm, the only problem there is that, with magic, I see humans creating slang for what happens and then leaving it at that.  For example, when zombies arrive, no one really classifies them as a living dead human corpse, the simply continue referring to them as zombies.  So for a gorgon's gaze for example, humans might just call it a gorgon's gaze, or a petrifying gaze if not unique to a gorgon.  I believe the gargoyles referred to what they went through as a stone sleep.

Basically, the more widespread a magical condition is, the shorter and more simplistic the name for it will be.  For example, if we humans were fighting a whole army of gorgons that were somehow invading the world, I think most people would just say, look out for 'the gaze' or, 'the stare'.

Of course, if you are specifically looking for scientific terms for something, I would recommend looking up the Latin for it.  Most things in science are named either after their discoverer or creator, or Latin.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: