Username:

Password:

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Escape - An ASFR Themed Platformer  (Read 29070 times)
StoneLad
Medusa Golden Knight

WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 07:37:36 PM »

What's your operating system?

slam422
Medusa Golden Knight

The requisit Sonic fan of the forum.

slamth422
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 06:28:01 PM »

Windows Vista.

If it has to do with sexy, half-naked/fully naked women being frozen in ice, then you know I will enjoy it!
FrozetaShintoriFan
Medusa Golden Knight

I know everything about photomanips and this forum

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »

Thanks for posting the demo/beta.

I really like the level design.

The ASFR effects are quite good too, but I have a minor complaint/idea about them:

I know you're doing this alone, so everything takes a lot of time, and adding new things isn't easy at all, but... it would be great if the "death animations" had at least two different versions, chosen at random, for every "death trigger". As it is right now, it gets a bit monotonous after the first few deaths.

I love your work, don't get me wrong, but this could be a good improvement and, although it takes time, I think it takes less time than designing new levels.

Thanks again, and sorry if "asking for more features" seems disrespectful, I'm not trying to "milk" you, just sharing an idea that I know that's not so easy to implement.
StoneLad
Medusa Golden Knight

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 12:29:58 AM »

Given the number of "deaths" I have planned, I doubt it will happen.  Those animations are pretty dang tedious to make:  I honestly prefer making the levels to them.

StoneLad
Medusa Golden Knight

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 12:39:50 PM »

Since I've recently begun working on this again, here's an early look at how the game's cutscenes will work: http://stonelad.tumblr.com/post/110409089751/this-escape-video-update-shows-off-the-new

Also, I'll be experimenting with releasing the game in parts.  If I can guarantee that I'll be able to do so while keeping saves intact (so you wouldn't have to keep replaying old levels), I'll definitely go that route.  Each part would be 10 levels long, and would contain its own gallery pieces, cutscenes, and possibly a few new features along the way.  I'd also try to make sure that uninstalling the game wouldn't destroy the save files because I can understand why you wouldn't want to leave something like this always installed.

If I can release the game in parts, I'll primarily have to make more artwork for the cutscenes and gallery (as well as try to squash a few bugs) which will take time, but obviously not as much time as making a full game.

StoneLad
Medusa Golden Knight

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 11:37:30 PM »

The first part of Escape has been released!  Find out more info and pick it up here:  http://stonelad.tumblr.com/post/112666823546/escape-part-1-release

FrozetaShintoriFan
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 08:20:09 AM »

gg wp: http://i.imgur.com/70u7f23.png

Very well done.

Things I'd improve:
EDIT: - Add some kind of icon at the start of the level to show there's a Gallery Piece on it.
- Add a Controls Guide to the Menu.
- The hitboxes for the golden pedestals are bigger than their sprites, reduce them a little if you can, they've led to some "unfair deaths" on my run.
- More checkpoints or the ability to quicksave. In 1-7, for example, the first part until you reach the checkpoint is huge.
- About the installer: It won't let me install the game unless I rename the unzipped Escape folder to EscapeDemo (on Windows 8.1, 64 bits). I installed the demo long ago, I guess it has something to do with it.

If you have any more questions about my experience with the game, let me know. Overall, I enjoyed it (even more as a game than as an "ASFR thing").
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:21:54 AM by FrozetaShintoriFan » Logged
StoneLad
Medusa Golden Knight

WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 08:28:32 AM »

Glad you enjoyed it. Addressing a few of your points.

-Yeah, I may add a controls layout in the options menu for the next version.
-Technically, the pedestals don't have a hitbox as it's just the exact area around the tile, but I do know what you mean.  Amy's hitbox is technically slightly larger than her so that it makes more sense with the running sprite, but I may reduce it a tad bit to see if it helps.
-I will likely work on adding multiple checkpoints for future stages to increase, but I'm not sure about the pre-existing ones.  Either way, it'll require quite a lot of work and some stages definitely wouldn't get the benefit like stage 1-10 because it would completely break the way the stage is designed.
-Hm, that's odd.  I didn't have to do that and I had also installed the demo.  I'm not sure about that.

Also, nice job finding all gallery pieces.  I wasn't sure how difficult it would be for people to find a few of them, especially the pedestal image.

FrozetaShintoriFan
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 08:36:29 AM »

In which is stage can you find the pedestal image? I found them "challenging", but "doable".

By the way, as I edited to my other message, I think there should be some kind of indication that there is a Gallery Piece in the stage.
StoneLad
Medusa Golden Knight

WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 07:35:36 PM »

Yeah, I'll likely add the indicator somehow.  I originally thought about doing it and then decided against it as a way to encourage more exploration in all levels, but now that I think about it the more levels/gallery pieces I add, the harder it will get to figure out which ones you're missing after you've gotten most but not all of them.

Also, the pedestal one was the one in 1-7.

EDIT:  V1.1 is available here:  http://stonelad.tumblr.com/post/112752500661/escape-part-1-update-1-1

Here's a changelog:
1) Amy’s collision box is a bit more narrow.  It now roughly matches the size of her feet when standing still.  It previously extended slightly in front and in back of her feet while standing still.

2) Floor transformations are now measured against the middle of Amy’s hitbox instead of the corners.  Previously, if the corner of Amy’s hitbox were touching floor goo/a pedestal, it would count as a “hit”.  Now, the corners are only used to determine if you’ve hit something solid:  the middle of her feet determine what the object does to you.  This greatly decreases BS “deaths” at the hands of pedestals.  This does technically mean you can stand on the very edge of pedestals without getting transformed, but the sweet spot is rather narrow and I can’t think of a spot in the game where this totally breaks things.

3) Levels with unclaimed gallery pieces now have an empty frame next to them.  Levels with gallery pieces you’ve already collected have a filled frame.

4) The game now saves that you completed level 10.  If you have already beaten level 10, you'll have to beat it again if you want to start directly at 2-1 when Part 2 comes out.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:34:36 PM by StoneLad » Logged

acbdefg
Medusa Golden Knight

My Lemonade!

Email
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 01:02:18 AM »

Okay I finally got the time to get this played. I'm soooooo bad at playing platform games... lol But well, after all we usually play this game for losing, so as long as I don't get repeatedly defeated in similar places, I would be fine with that.

The gallery pieces would be kind of hard for me to fetch though. I've only got the first three and I don't think I'm going to fetch the rest of them easily... As you've said, I don't even see where the gallery piece in 1-7 could be hiding. I kind of suspect that I should turn both the red and the green blocks on for the puzzle near the exit, or I should go back at some point. For 1-9 it should be related with the purple blocks near the exit, but I didn't find the switch. For 1-10... Well, surviving the level is already kind of difficult for me... lol Clearly it's on the way, and I guess we need to be fast enough to get it?

The game is kind of fun, and filled with 'vicious' traps that we love Amy to fall into. XD

There is a tiny glitch though. Sometimes Amy's feet is half stuck into the ground. Although she could sill run in that state, she would still get blocked sometimes and we need to jump a bit to continue. I think this happened around the saving point in 1-10, right after we have jumped through the two facing gorgon statues with the help of a light blue block.

And... Just my personal preference, I feel kind of sorry that Amy has to be crushed into rubble for so many times during the gameplay. I've never been a fan of destroying solidified girls (not even for large cracks), but petrification in the air happens so often in the game... (Or it's just my bad for being too dull. XD)

Waiting for the final exams... (Judgement?)

Embrace the coming summer holiday of statuary!!
StoneLad
Medusa Golden Knight

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 08:09:35 AM »

In terms of difficulty, I have already redone the checkpoint system to allow for multiple checkpoints for levels.  So far, the following levels have been changed but not released yet:

1-7:  There is a new checkpoint before the part where you have to keep doubling back on yourself trying to get both switches deactivated.

1-9:  There is a new checkpoint at the bottom of the tower.  The original checkpoint has moved slightly further into the level.

I'm considering adding another point to 1-8 but I haven't found a good spot yet.  1-10 would probably be nice to change but because of the design of the level, I'm not sure it'll be possible without a large overhaul.  The reason there is a switch just before the checkpoint is to ensure that you've actually kept up with the Alpha Cockatrice:  otherwise, you could technically have infinite time to reach the first checkpoint since the Cockatrice only petrifies you at the very end.

As for the glitch with the passable floors, I do know you can land partially in the floor and haven't found a good way to fix it yet that wouldn't result in Amy randomly falling right through the whole floor.

As for the gallery pieces, I'll offer a couple of small clues:  First, all gallery pieces so far are after the checkpoint (or after the checkpoint changes are made, after the last checkpoint in the level) so you don't run into a situation where you die after a checkpoint and can't go back to get it again.  However, the switch for 1-9 is actually before this checkpoint, but don't worry if you fail to make it to the end after hitting the switch:  the switch actually remains on if you've passed the checkpoint after activating it.

Linkrlz
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 09:08:12 AM »

Some of those pieces were a bit tough to get but I managed them all x3
acbdefg
Medusa Golden Knight

My Lemonade!

Email
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 11:51:16 PM »

Okay now I get them all... I've seen those red blocks on the ground in 1-7, but didn't know I could get through the walls, and I even got kind of stuck after getting the piece before finally figuring out that there's another way out. I'm so dull... lol

The hint for 1-9 is pretty clear then. I got it in my first attempt after reading the post.

For 1-10 I tried many times before I could finally be a tiny bit faster than the alpha cockatrice... Just a tiny bit really. Btw I think it would be better if there's another ending dialogue when Amy is petrified by the alpha cockatrice as it's different from others?

Waiting for the final exams... (Judgement?)

Embrace the coming summer holiday of statuary!!
blargen
Gorgon Knight

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 09:02:03 PM »

I've been seeing your updates on how the ice levels are going, and I'm impressed with how you've done the walking cycles of the winter wolves, that's a lot of work put in to make their walk look natural, so good job on that. And seeing their dash in motion as if they're moving like a cold breeze is a nice touch as well. Also, like the snow effect on Amy and the touch of her hand falling off following her transformation.

Really appreciate the work being put into this!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: