Username:

Password:

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Writing a story  (Read 2816 times)
Rebellion
Medusa Golden Knight

Email
« on: January 20, 2014, 10:25:16 AM »

I am planning to write a story but I am not sure what approach is better, whether it is the typical story-telling type, a journal type or from a first-person perspective?   Embarrassed Embarrassed

The story I am writing is not ASFR theme although it involves freezing in some aspect due to cryogenic weapons (the setting is set in far future, about 20000 years into the future and set in three galaxies) and most of the protagonist are females.
mangoman
Medusa Golden Knight

Sekikumo
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:23:07 AM »

Well, that mostly depends on what you want.  Most stories are written in third-person, since that gives you the most freedom to describe what is happening.  You can change perspectives and scenes at will, and can give narrative details that characters in the story wouldn't be aware of. 

Generally speaking, you would use first-person if you want the story to be very personal, since the narrator is speaking in her own voice.  This limits what you can write about to what the narrator actually sees and knows about.  You see stories written in first-person most often when the emotions and experiences of the main character are the focal point of the story, like in romance for example. 

If you're writing a sci-fi story and the setting and history of the world is important, and there is a large cast of characters, I would say the standard third-person style would be best.
acbdefg
Medusa Golden Knight

My Lemonade!

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 02:32:15 PM »

First person perspective is the most difficult one I think. You have to stay in it all the time and describe what you see. This is different from third person where you know everything around and with much more freedom. In first person, you could not know what you shouldn't know.

I suppose sci-fi goes better for third person as it needs a lot of descriptions. First person is good for stories built around thoughts, feelings and other inner things.

Waiting for the final exams... (Judgement?)

Embrace the coming summer holiday of statuary!!
Rebellion
Medusa Golden Knight

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:56:40 PM »

I see, I always thought first-person perspective is the easiest one compared to the third-person perspective.  Embarrassed

Anyways is the journal/diary type story (think of World War Z novel version) considered first-person perspective?
mangoman
Medusa Golden Knight

Sekikumo
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 06:45:16 PM »

A story that is entirely a collection of journal entries, letters, etc is sort of a genre unto itself.  Those can be interesting as well. 

Basically, the question you need to ask yourself is what kind of story it is you want to write, then pick the format that works best for that.  Third person is the standard for most stories, but you seem to be leaning towards wanting to write it like a journal entry.  Why not just go ahead and try writing it like that and see how you like it. Afterwards, you can feel free to experiment too; you don't need to stick to a narrative style forever once you've written something using it.  The best to way to get better at writing is to just keep doing it until you find what works and what doesn't for you. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: