Username:

Password:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29
  Print  
Author Topic: The Labyrinth (Discussion)  (Read 129157 times)
StoneLad
Medusa Golden Knight

WWW Email
« on: November 30, 2013, 09:07:52 PM »

EDIT:  This thread is now for signing up for the Labyrinth, asking questions about the game, and out of character chat.  In character posts and turns will be made in The Labyrinth (Game) thread (http://medusaprojectonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=2804)

Introducing...The Labyrinth!

Three people wake up in a dangerous labyrinth full of perilous traps.  They don't know how they got there or why they're there to begin with, but they'll have to co-operate to escape!

What is the Labyrinth?
I once saw a forum game on a different website where different forum members played as different characters and had to work to escape from a dungeon.  It was a sort of RPG but with images depicting each turn by each character.  I thought that idea might be perfect for this site.

How does it work?
People who sign up to play the game will create a character.  The first three people to create their characters will enter the game first, and everybody else's characters will enter a queue.  Once in the game, each player will post one action that they want to take per turn.  Once all players have posted actions, I'll update the game and show the results of said actions.  Then, they'll start another turn.

Once a character is indisposed, the next character in the queue will enter the game.  The circumstances in which they enter the game may vary greatly so you'll have to be alert and ready to play at any moment if you sign up!

If your character loses, you go to the back of the queue and must come up with a new character.  If you do not wish to continue the game, please post saying such so I can remove you from the queue.

If you didn't get in on the initial sign up, don't worry!  You can create a character and enter the queue at any time.

What are the rules for character creation?
1)  Characters must have a short paragraph describing their personality and perhaps their life prior to entering the labyrinth.
2)  Characters must be original (made by the creator, not from any media).
3)  While you can say your character had magical powers prior to entering the labyrinth, they will be stripped of them once inside.
EDIT:  The same goes for weapons and special skills/senses.  You can say they are good at using a weapon, but they will not have it once inside.
4)  You must have either a detailed paragraph or reference shots for your character's appearance.  Keep in mind that I have to actually make the character appear in the game and can't really draw them if I have nothing to go on.
5)  Your characters must wear clothes.  A bikini still counts as clothes, though, if you are deadset on showing as much skin as you can.

Anything else to keep in mind for creating characters?
1)  Keep in mind that I am best at drawing anime/manga styled characters.  If you don't like that style, I can *try* to draw them in another style, but the results will probably not look so hot.  (And no, having conflicting art styles will not break the game for reasons I will not explain now)
2)  Keep in mind that I am best at drawing women.  I've tried drawing guys and they tend to look feminine.  With that being said, I'll give it a shot still.
3)  Keep in mind that I have to draw these characters in various positions, so don't go overboard on your designs.
4)  I would prefer that you make a brand new original character for this game and more specifically, one with no ASFR experience of any kind.  Again, you can choose to not do this, but it may be more difficult to write for.

What are the rules for taking a turn?
1)  A turn consists of a precise action.  Actions should not be too broad.  For example, saying "Wake up and get ready to go to work" is broad.  Saying "I open the refridgerator door" is a precise action.
2)  Players can discuss what actions to take with each other, but it must be in character and only through a maximum of two posts each.  If your character speaks one more time, it will count as their turn and they cannot do any other action until the next turn.
EDIT:  To clarify, you can talk twice (as in two separate posts, not two sentences in one post) and act once per turn OR talk three times.
3)  You can ask questions regarding game rules or the environment out of character to me at any time without fear of losing a turn.
4)  Any action taken during a turn should be preceded by "<start action>" and followed by "<end action>".  Using the example from number 1, my turn would be "<start action>I open the door looking for food to eat<end action>"  This is to avoid any confusion as to whether you're thinking about taking an action and whether you're actually doing it (It's like saying "Final answer" in "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire" if you've ever watched that)
EDIT:  Also, end your turn with <end turn> if you choose to end your turn prematurely.
5)  If you take too long to use your turn, you will be warned and sacrafice a turn.  Repeated offenses will result in your character being taken over by me, and I'll be sure to write them out of the game ASAP.
6)  Don't make your turn into an instant win button.  For example, if you're swordfighting someone, you can't just say "I dodge the attack and stab them in the heart, killing them."  You can say that you try to stab them in the heart, but whether or not you succeed is up to me.
7)  Your turn is locked in once I see it.  If you make a post with the <start action>/<end action> tags, I will copy whatever I see when I first see the post and save it.  In other words, you can edit the post all you want, but I'm not going to edit the action after I've already seen it.
8) POST ALL TURNS AND IN CHARACTER CHAT IN THE LABYRINTH (GAME) THREAD!  THIS IS FOR DISCUSSIONS AND SIGNUPS ONLY!

Updated Rules:
9) You can queue up a series of actions if you need to do something that would require multiple turns but don't want to post each one individually (for example, going back 3 rooms to grab something and return).  To do so, wrap your actions in a <queue actions></queue actions> tag.  If all three players have queued actions at once, the next update will skip to the turn where the first queue to end leaves off.  The turn number will reflect the time passed.  If a major development occurs that impacts your action queue, the rest of the queue will be negated and you will have to post a new action.

10) If you are in possession of a Sound Stone, you will be able to talk to anybody else in your party almost anywhere in the Labyrinth.  The volume of their voice will vary depending on the distance between you.  The following chart illustrates its range:  http://i.imgur.com/tsK1acK.png

The volume will be posted by me when it changes, but otherwise need not be acknowledged by the players. Putting the sound stone up to one's ear to hear it is something only I will mention:  you do not need to actually perform the action.  Also, all talking you do will be heard by it, so you need not use an action to speak into it.

Anything else to keep in mind?
1)  Don't go out of your way to lose.  I know you most likely want to see your character turned to stone, but if everybody chases down every gorgon they meet so they can look into its eyes, we'll never get anywhere in the actual game.  Don't worry - I can assure you there will be plenty of opportunities to lose fair and square!
2)  Don't make up your own subplots unless consulting me privately and getting my approval.  This is less about me wanting total control and more about me not wanting to get thrown a curveball out of nowhere while trying to run it.
3)  The rules are subject to change at any time either via scripted events or due to problems with the actual game.
4)  I will work on an update once everybody has finalized their actions.  Please be patient:  my schedule may not allow me to post an update for days and maybe even weeks at a time.
5)  Speaking of patience, this will be a long game.  Like, many months long.

What will updates look like?
They'll kind of look like an RPG game.  For example, here's the first room of the game below.

For a frame of reference, characters will be between 2 and 3 tiles tall.  For important updates, there may be extra images included.  For larger rooms, I may post them on a separate site and link to them to avoid having to scroll to view them.

I'm confused.
I realize this post was quite the info dump so if you have any questions, just ask!  Some things may not be so clear until the game starts so I fully expect things to be rough starting out.

When can I sign up?
Now!

Where can I sign up?
Here!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:15:28 PM by StoneLad » Logged

chilldon
Medusa Golden Knight

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 10:14:53 PM »

this seems like a neat idea, might try and create a character when I get more free time (finals are coming)
Skynet
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 02:38:38 AM »

Hmm, this certainly looks good.

Well, time to get working with an OC~
PetrifiedBansshee
Gorgon Knight

banshee11259@gmail.com
Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 07:14:35 AM »

I'm in Smiley
mangoman
Medusa Golden Knight

Sekikumo
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 08:13:55 AM »

Sure, I'll give this a try.  Some questions:

Characters can't have magical powers, but can they have other skills coming into this?  Like, could I say my character is an experienced hunter and is able to use a bow and arrow?  Or has keen senses, or a good nose, etc?

When you say the character has no asfr experience, do you mean they've never been turned to stone, ice, etc before, or do you mean they need to be totally unfamiliar with the idea of asfr being a thing (ie. That's a cockatrice, watch out it can turn you to stone! vs. A cockatrice, what's that?  I think I wanna make friends with the cute birdie!)

Are all the characters in the game supposed to originate from the same place/world/etc?  Am I supposed to create a character that comes from our real world, or can she be from a fantasy/sci-fi/whatever setting?  Can they be non-human?  (ie, I want to submit a character with wolf ears/tail.)

Edit: I'll just submit my character now, actually.  A character from a fantasy world that I want to write stories about some day, but I never get around to it since I'm lazy. She's open to change if something doesn't work for you.

Melfy the wolf-girl

Melfy comes from a fantasy world where monsters attacking people's villages is an everyday occurrence. People aren't the top of the food chain, so to speak, and live in constant danger of deadly perils. She's part of an adventurers guild that searches ancient ruins for new knowledge, magic, items, etc, in an attempt to find things that will improve life and make surviving in this world easier.  Life for regular people is dangerous enough, but as an adventurer death can come at any moment.  Melfy has adopted a sort of fatalistic attitude about all this, assuming she's going to die in an unpleasant way sooner or later, so she may as well make the best of the time she has.

Many adventurers think the key to success is slaying monsters, but she knows the best way to survive is to fight as little as possible.  She's cautious, and would rather avoid a fight than rush into one pointlessly.  She’s good under pressure, and making tough decisions quickly.  She values helping her friends out of danger, but is collected enough to wait patiently for a chance to present itself, rather than jumping in haphazardly and getting into trouble herself.  When she’s not in a life-or-death situation, she’s easy-going and personable, and doesn’t let small stuff bother her.

Oh, she’s also from a world with only girls in it (best way to put cute girls in peril situations is to make sure the world only has cute girls in it, lol) and she can be something of a womanizer.  I imagine you want to keep things tame, so I won’t actually do anything with this, but it’s worth mentioning. 

Apperance: I can’t draw and I suck at describing things, so I made a basic idea of what she looks like in one of those flash-game character dress-up things.  Here’s an image:
http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad167/PetroSuki/ScreenShot2013-12-01at85703AM.png

Her outfit would look more fantasy-ish ideally, with like leather or fur pelts or something.  She goes barefoot so she can better feel the ground for signs of incoming danger.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:04:56 AM by mangoman » Logged
Rebellion
Medusa Golden Knight

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 09:36:56 AM »

Yuki Stoker

http://nemu-asakura.deviantart.com/art/Yuki-Stoker-125788194?ga_submit_new=10%253A1385907757&ga_type=edit&ga_changes=1

An wanderer-killer that wanders across towns and kills anyone she see as a threat. She has the ability to see people as who they really are" i.e. monsters taking human forms. She only rely on her sword and agility to kill her targets. She comes from a world full of humans and monsters taking human forms where the monsters are the ruling power and the humans are slaves, she has no other choice but to hunt down the monsters and kill them. As she was born with the ability to identify monsters from humans, she uses it to her advantage.

She has an anti-social personality and doesn't get well with others, usually giving other people an impression that she is a cold and selfish person but deep inside, she feels that she is misunderstood and yearns attention yet she doesn't know how to present herself to others specially after years of being alone. In combat, she is very ruthless, sparing the enemy no chance to surrender, though considering that her enemies are monsters who are brutal against humans, she believes her action justifies the means which is to defeat the monsters and protect humans in her own way.

her clothes is a sleeveless dress that reaches 3 inches below knees and despite the picture, her sword is slightly bigger and it gets larger from base to tip. Her shoes are black-colored boots.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:52:21 AM by Rebellion » Logged
StoneLad
Medusa Golden Knight

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 11:29:42 AM »

Sure, I'll give this a try.  Some questions:

Characters can't have magical powers, but can they have other skills coming into this?  Like, could I say my character is an experienced hunter and is able to use a bow and arrow?  Or has keen senses, or a good nose, etc?

Yes to the bow and arrow (although you will not start with a weapon), no to having any special senses.  If they had special senses before, they will find they do not work as well in the Labyrinth.

When you say the character has no asfr experience, do you mean they've never been turned to stone, ice, etc before, or do you mean they need to be totally unfamiliar with the idea of asfr being a thing (ie. That's a cockatrice, watch out it can turn you to stone! vs. A cockatrice, what's that?  I think I wanna make friends with the cute birdie!)

I was looking more so an idea similar to how a human would think of it.  In other words, if they see a mythological creature, they may have heard of it but didn't really think it was real.  Either way, it's a guideline, not a rule, so either way works.

Are all the characters in the game supposed to originate from the same place/world/etc?  Am I supposed to create a character that comes from our real world, or can she be from a fantasy/sci-fi/whatever setting?  Can they be non-human?  (ie, I want to submit a character with wolf ears/tail.)

Different worlds is acceptable.

Also, your character is fine.  As for the whole womanizer thing, if you want to like make like light hearted comments about it, that's fine.  Just don't do something like try to start a relationship without consulting me privately first.

Yuki Stoker

Your character description is fine although keep in mind you will not have your weapon upon waking up in the Labyrinth.  In fact, I'll add it to the rules since I forgot to mention it earlier.

Skynet
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 12:47:10 PM »

A small question however... might sound very dumb (as it is against some of the unspoken rules of ASFR) of me to ask this, but are we allowed to retrieve the OCs back unharmed should any accident is to befall upon them? (Not sure if I worded this correctly)

Anyway, I'm putting my dA OC as a test drive, so here goes:

Rika, the Hypno High School student

Originally enrolling for a high school just around her block, Rika is a school girl who, by some odd, unexplained paperwork FUBAR, got enrolled into Hypno High instead. Even so, she had no complaints studying there (since she couldn't), and plans to keep it up so that she can safely graduate and secure a rather... uncanny future ahead of her.

Given her normal appearance, Rika is just as typical as an average school-goer could get, though a bit more curious as she tends to experiment on things she has never seen before... and then research on it if the object in question is important for her studies. Because of this, Rika tends to excel very quickly, given enough time and resources, on things that are foreign to her.

Being a senior after passing her first orientation exams, Rika wears a white-colored collar shirt with a black-colored school vest over it, along with a checkered skirt that matches with the color of her assigned tie color, which is red.

Reference : http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/183/5/6/hypno_high___obedience_test__page_3__by_l_exander909-d6bofeh.jpg (Picture at third panel is the school uniform - Rika is currently still wearing her orientation uniform, while Nagisa (White) and Hana (Blue) are already in their senior uniforms)

Will this do? I might say Rika does have some ASFR experience from studying, but I don't think she is fully knowledgeable on the matter... yet.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 12:48:44 PM by Skynet » Logged
Linkrlz
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 12:50:57 PM »

Could we use existing OCs of ours? After my whole losing my data fiasco I could use a bit of fun (outside FF XIV anyway) That way I don't have to do alot of thinking.
StoneLad
Medusa Golden Knight

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 04:32:30 PM »

A small question however... might sound very dumb (as it is against some of the unspoken rules of ASFR) of me to ask this, but are we allowed to retrieve the OCs back unharmed should any accident is to befall upon them? (Not sure if I worded this correctly)

If you mean can they be restored, it depends on the situation but I would say for the vast majority of losers, probably not.

Also, to be clear, Mangoman's Melfy, Rebellion's Yuki Stoker, and Skynet's Rika shall be the first three characters to enter the Labyrinth.  All characters after this post will be entered into the queue.

Could we use existing OCs of ours? After my whole losing my data fiasco I could use a bit of fun (outside FF XIV anyway) That way I don't have to do alot of thinking.

Yes.  Just don't use a character from any official media.  For example, you can't suddenly have Princess Zelda enter the mix.

sfc09
Statue

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 05:09:43 PM »

I would give this a try, but I don't have a character of my own and I'd just end up breaking the "don't go out of your way to lose" rule. Will be watching though!
Rebellion
Medusa Golden Knight

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 05:48:54 PM »

Yuki Stoker

Your character description is fine although keep in mind you will not have your weapon upon waking up in the Labyrinth.  In fact, I'll add it to the rules since I forgot to mention it earlier.
[/quote]

Ok  Smiley
Linkrlz
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 05:53:11 PM »

Alright, throwing my hat in the ring. Er labyrinth.

Link Hayashi http://link-hayashi.deviantart.com/art/Request-Link-335573451

(copy/paste from what I have in my gallery)

When Link is not fighting she's a normal girl (often depicted in different ages according to the artist or art style)

She's often clumsy and shy but she's very friendly and kind hearted. Unfortunately they can be weaknesses when fighting.

When fighting she'll transform and look like this.  http://linkrlz.deviantart.com/art/Cutie-Senshi-122059768

When in this form Link will use elemental magic and light magic against her enemies. She will also use hand combat if needed but magic is definitely her strong point when in this form. She can also use magic barriers to deflect/block magic or physical attacks.

The jewel on her chest will depict her energy level. If the jewel starts to lose its glow it means Link is becoming tired and/or weak.
If Link needs speed and strength instead of magic she will use this transformation. http://linkrlz.deviantart.com/art/Sexy-Link-Sword-Wielder-130696658

In this form all her power is in her sword. She materializes her sword at will so she doesn't have to carry it around. She becomes much faster and will specialize in close combat.  She can still use weaker versions of her elemental magic if she needs some distance but her barriers will still be as powerful.

Her sword is composed of magic so it's unbreakable unless she starts to grow weak/tired or severely overpowered. The sword will shatter and take a good chunk of Link's energy. She can materialize the sword as many times as long as her energy will allow it.

She can switch between these two forms at will and even in mid combat as long she has the strenght to continue fighting.

Since magic and weapons are pretty much irrelevant from what I understood you could just focus on the first and/or second paragraphs.

Link is often clumsy but if necessary she can be serious (often not seen but can be a force to be reckoned with)

Note to self: I really do need something bad ass.....
StoneLad
Medusa Golden Knight

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 08:42:23 PM »

Well, I don't necessarily have to ignore it:  if you want to do some internal thinking as your character at the start of the game like perhaps how they react to realizing they don't have magical powers, you can add that to your writing prompt.  (Yes, you can do internal thoughts as part of your turn without penalty.  Just keep it reasonably short.)  So as a general rule to everyone, you don't have to do too much in character dialog or stuff if you don't want, but it might make your character at least more interesting.

Anyhoo...

UPDATE 0.1

Seeing as how I've finished the first character sprite, I'd figure I'd might as well show it so people get a general idea of how the characters will look in an update.  I'm also taking this post to test the general layout of an update.  In place of this paragraph will be a description of the results of everybody's turns.  If there are additional images such as in an important update, they'll be peppered throughout the turn's description.  Following the description will be links to picture(s) of the current room(s) so everybody knows what the current situation is.  I originally was going to have the room layouts in the actual posts, but I think it'll just be too big.  Following that will be a list of the current characters, their players, and the current status of the characters.  Finally, there will be the current waiting list.

Current Room: http://i.imgur.com/vmsSL6y.png

Current players:
CharacterPlayerStatus
MelfymangomanSprite 100% done
Yuki StokerRebellionSprite 0% Complete
RikaSkynetSprite 0% Complete

Current waiting list:
1) Link/Linkrlz

Linkrlz
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 09:09:59 PM »

Sounds fun. I'll read everything again more slowly to get a good feel on how this will work. To make sure I get it right and maybe make it more fun.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29
  Print  

Jump to: