Username:

Password:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: ASFR Wiki - General discussion thread  (Read 61539 times)
FrozetaShintoriFan
Medusa Golden Knight

I know everything about photomanips and this forum

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 08:08:07 AM »

My idea for categories:

Anime - Cartoons - Comics - Manga - Live-action (no need to distinguish series or music videos from movies or advertisings here, IMO) - Videogames - Fanart (some may belong to two cateogories, such as Fanart and Videogames, though)

Stone - Ice - Mannequins - Metal - Wax - Sand - Wood - [any other materials] - Timestop (although I think it doesn't belong to this wiki, a lot of people seem to like it, so no problems adding it)

About the articles' structure:

Title: Series - Number of episode (or season, and number of episode) - Title of episode
(i.e. ONE PIECE - Episode 412 - The Heartless Judgment! Marguerite Turned to Stone!!)

Description: A little description of the scene. No personal opinions here, just tell what happens.
(i.e. In this scene, 3 amazon warriors are turned into stone by a heart-shaped beam shot by their leader. The transformation is instantaneous, and they look shocked. The texture is a basic "all-gray" texture.)

Opinions: Quoted opinions on the scene, an X/5 rating system and your name.
(i.e. "Although the initial transformation may be disappointing, since it's insantanous and the statues are not too well drawn, later interactions with the statues help the scene a lot. A good scene overall." 4/5 - asfr11)

Screenshots:

Download/watch links: Here, I'd prefer External links instead of Wiki links, since all the Wiki does is linking to the real videos, anyway. And, for a preview, we have the Screenshots part.

If you agree with my point of view, you can add this to the Wiki's Main Page.

Also, Skynet, you have the Table tool in the Edit article page.

EDIT: Also, am I the only one who would prefer "Cartoons" to "Cartoon", "Videogames" to "Videogame" and so on, in the Categories?

EDIT2: Here's a sample of my proposed layout: http://asfr.wikia.com/wiki/Bakuryuu_Sentai_Abaranger!_Deluxe!_The_Abare_Summer_is_Frozen_Solid!

Do you know how to fix the images' position?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:30:51 AM by FrozetaShintoriFan » Logged
wazzupg
Gorgon Warrior

Email
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 10:03:08 AM »

Thanks to everybody that has helped so far you are all doing great.'

Here's a sample of my proposed layout: http://asfr.wikia.com/wiki/Bakuryuu_Sentai_Abaranger!_Deluxe!_The_Abare_Summer_is_Frozen_Solid!

I like that layout quite a bit I think that we should do that to all the current and future pages of the wiki.

Timestop (although I think it doesn't belong to this wiki, a lot of people seem to like it, so no problems adding it)

I think there is some timestop already on the wiki if I recall what I currently have posted on it.
wazzupg
Gorgon Warrior

Email
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 10:15:50 AM »

Relating to the categories; I think that live action would make the topic a little too broad; I feel like changing all the music videos, movies, etc into just live action would be just like moving all the cartoons and anime into
an animation category even though they are different.
StoneLad
Medusa Golden Knight

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 11:03:14 AM »

I like that page layout, assuming you use a gallery instead of a list of screenshots down the side because that doesn't look very good.  I do have one question/problem with it though.  My original idea was to have scenes that have multiple adaptations on the same page for ease of access similar to something I did on the Minish Cap page: http://asfr.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_The_Minish_Cap and I don't see how it could work with this layout.  I mean, we could separate them and have a link between pages, but I just think if we don't have all that much information on a single page anyways that combining them would make comparing the scenes easy.

EDIT:  I did make one small change to your layout:  I made the reviews into a table since the formatting looked weird when the review ran over onto a second line.  If anybody wants to add their review, they just need to edit the page/the opinions section, right click the bottom row of the table, go to row -> add row after.

EDIT 2:  Edited the page again to turn the screenshot list into a gallery.  It pushed the links section to the far bottom of the screen but looked nicer, so I moved links above the screenshots.  How does that look?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:27:43 AM by StoneLad » Logged

FrozetaShintoriFan
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 11:27:55 AM »

@wazzupg
OK, although I still think that the differences among live-action music videos, movies and advertisings are lesser than between manga and comics or cartoons and anime.

Besides, there's much less live-action media than all the other categories.

I think we should vote this...

@StoneLad
I think there should be different pages when it comes to those situations. We could add another section to articles called "In other media" or something like that (you're the native English-speaking person here, you can come up with a better title...) and connect with the other scenes of the same series in a different media that way. Or even better, a "Comparison with other similar scenes" section in both articles, with a little description of the differences.
StoneLad
Medusa Golden Knight

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 11:46:36 AM »

Well, I do not want cartoons and anime/manga and comics merged.  I prefer the anime art style so I don't want to go through other kinds of stuff to see it.  How about a compromise where we have Live-Action Movie, Live-Action TV, and things like music videos and ads into a general Other category.  I know that sounds awkward with two "Live-Actions" in there, but it would at least cut the number of current LA categories by one while opening up an "other" category in the event of future disagreements over things like this.

Either way, I'm looking into making a page template to make having new pages follow a format easier, but the way Wikia handles this is...well, just awful.

EDIT:  Ok, is everybody fine with the Abarangers page format?  I'll change the name to the name - episode number - episode name scheme, but other than that, I want to know if everybody agrees to that format so I can begin transforming old pages to the format.

Also, for future reference, when taking screenshots from a video download VLC media player.  It's a nice media player anyways, but it also comes with handy frame by frame feature as well as a screenshot feature.  It's what I used to quickly throw together the entire bus screenshot for the Pretty Cure scene.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:56:12 PM by StoneLad » Logged

wazzupg
Gorgon Warrior

Email
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 05:43:42 PM »

Relating to the categorizing again I think that we should feature a live action category in the front page, but keep the categories on the pages the same so that all of the live action videos are in one area and they can access the other categories through the other pages. I hope that makes sense.

Relating to the Minish Cap page we could keep the two subjects on the same page we would just do the layout twice except we only have one table of contents.
StoneLad
Medusa Golden Knight

WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 06:51:12 PM »

Too late, I already separated it  Wink

The more I thought about it, the more I realized keeping everything on the same page could cause problems later since we plan on including the episode name in the title of series articles.

I think having subcategories would be fine such as the statue category right now.  I mean, it's not like we'd really be flooded in categories if we keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't go overboard.  Also, when It think about it, I tend to avoid artwork in a music video since it tends to not be well done, so I'd have a reason to have it in a separate category that I don't necessarily want to see.  Plus, we have it split between TV and movies on Medusa Project right now and it hasn't seemed to cause a problem.  If we were to have categories and subcategories, we could have something similar to the following.

Media Categories
  • Live Action
    • Movie
    • Television
    • Advertisement (perhaps put in "Other" category)
    • Music Video (perhaps put in "Other" category)
  • Animated
    • Anime
    • Cartoon
  • Drawn
    • Manga
    • Comic
    • Web comic (maybe)
    • Individual work (maybe)
  • Written Work

ASFR Types
  • Statue
    • Stone
    • Gold
    • Wood
    • Wax
    • Mannequin
    • Metal (maybe combine with gold)
    • insert other materials of statues
  • Ice
    • Frosted (where victim has icicles/is turned white/covered in snow)
    • Ice Encasement (where victim is frozen in a block/crystal of ice)
  • Flat
    • Mirror (trapped in a mirror)
    • Painting (transformed into a painting)
  • Time Stop

Obviously, this isn't comprehensive as there's more materials and stuff than that, but I think you get the idea.  The way I see it, as long as we don't go overboard (i.e. dividing stone into marble, granite etc; dividing Frosted into icicles, victim turns blue, victim turns white, etc), it'll still look nice and give people plenty of options on how they want to view material.

There are some grey area problems with this model (as there is with any model, really).
1) What about something like say Carbonite freezing?  Would that be statue or flat?  Maybe its own category?
2)  More importantly, would a visual novel be listed as a video game or a comic/manga?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:56:29 PM by StoneLad » Logged

wazzupg
Gorgon Warrior

Email
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 07:25:18 PM »

Stonelad the way you organized that is perfect. I couldn't have asked for any better.

What about something like say Carbonite freezing?  Would that be statue or flat?  Maybe its own category?

You could enter it under both categories or we could make a new category your call

More importantly, would a visual novel be listed as a video game or a comic/manga?

Once again it could be both I think it's more like a video game but it your call on this one too.
FrozetaShintoriFan
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 07:42:58 PM »

Well done, StoneLad.

In my opinion, carbonite freezing should be in a new category called "Merging", together with "wall mergings".

A visual novel is a videogame, as I see it, at least.

Also, avoid the "Other" categories, unless it's something really hard to categorize (no examples come to my mind at this moment). Even then, it should just be an "Unclassifiable" catergory, not "Other". That's too vague...

And please add an "Edible" material for the "Statue" section, with chocolate, candy and all of that. And a "Cardboard" transformation to the "Flat" one, like what happens in the first Power Ranger series' episode "No clowning around" (here, at 06:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veVFACuvdQA ).

Keep it up! Cheesy

EDIT:

Should we consider adding a "Context" section to summarize more or less the story of the scene, so that the "Description" part may be a bit more like a neutral narration of what happens, something like "X is turned into stone by Y. X looks shocked/confused. The transformation is somewhat slow, the victim struggles during it. The resulting statue is marblish, with a rough texture that hides part of the victim's features" ?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:53:15 PM by FrozetaShintoriFan » Logged
StoneLad
Medusa Golden Knight

WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 08:42:20 PM »

Alright, good to see that people like that category idea.  I take it it's settled then.

As for visual novels, I figured they were video games but I know I've seen a number of people that refuse to call them as such.  Also, about the Edible/Cardboard thing, I had noted I left stuff off.  I had cardboard and others on there but didn't want the post to be longer than it already was or to have someone keep going "What about ______?"

(and about the cardboard thing, that was the exact scene I was thinking of as I typed it but decided to leave it off anyways).

Also, I think the context/description could be combined.  Context will also describe how the victim is petrified or whatever, and the images speak for themselves on how the victim looks.  You could probably just add the other info you mentioned (the speed of the transformation, struggling victim, etc) to that.

EDIT:  Actually, I change my mind, context would be fine to add separately.

EDIT 2:  I am testing using a new template for article stubs with a custom notification/picture thing I whipped up.  Tell me what you think.  It doesn't contain the links that the normal stub notification does, but really, was adding a link to adding to the page 1 inch away from a button that does the same thing helping anyone?  Check it out here:  http://asfr.wikia.com/wiki/Astro_Boy_-_Episode_34

EDIT 3:  Ok, hopefully this is the last edit.  I've also added a template to handle articles with low resolution pictures.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:56:19 PM by StoneLad » Logged

Statuerandomguy
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 01:24:16 AM »

I got a better quality pic for the iron man episode.
http://asfr.wikia.com/wiki/Iron_Man-_The_Grim_Reaper_Wears_a_Teflon_Coat

Here: http://i.imgur.com/AW1Ax.png  Hope the quality is good. I would put it myself, but I don't know how to edit the wiki  Embarrassed

StoneLad
Medusa Golden Knight

WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 01:53:33 AM »

Got it and already added it.  Thank you!

FrozetaShintoriFan
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 07:08:22 AM »

Good job with the templates. I think we need these (some may overlap with what we have):
- No images.
- Images are low-res, needs better images. (We should stablish a minimal resolution for the images. Anything below that gets this template).
- No videos.
- Videos are low-res, needs better videos. (Same as with the images).
- Not enough info.
- Not wikified.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:17:11 AM by FrozetaShintoriFan » Logged
Skynet
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 07:15:39 AM »

Hmm, about the statues page... on top of 'Food' transformations, I'd suggest changing the 'Gold' transformation to 'Metal' instead, because metals can lead to chrome, steel, gold, bronze and what not. What do you guys think?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: