Username:

Password:

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Creating a petrification art contest in DeviantART...  (Read 4549 times)
FrozetaShintoriFan
Medusa Golden Knight

I know everything about photomanips and this forum

« on: August 10, 2010, 06:07:36 AM »

Hi there. I've been thinking about creating a petrification art contest in DeviantART, so that we can get some new petrification art, and... who knows? Maybe some new "followers" to our fetish.

We can use DeviantART points as currency. We can create a common pool for the prize points, so that we have big prizes...

Something like:
1st: 1000
2nd: 500
3rd: 300
Several honorable mentions of 50-100 points.

80 Points = 1$

With 5 people giving 400 Points, we can have it.

What do you think about it?

Comment if you're ready to give Points, and we'll see how many does everyone have to give.

Also, we have to set the rules for the contest, so comment with ideas and such.

Well... COMMENT if you have something to say!  Wink

Also, Link, I've sent this same thing to the #MarbleGallery group. I think it needs your aproval to be posted, since you're the admin.
Fieryrebirth
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 03:23:02 PM »

From what I've learned when it comes to Linkrlz's latest contest, it might not work too well...I'm just having my doubts.
FrozetaShintoriFan
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 05:02:17 PM »

In my opinion, the main problem of Linkrlz contests is that he's too "restrictive" with the details.

I've gotten lots of cheap commissions (from 0 to 200 points) with a petrification theme, some of them surprisingly good.

I think that it can work very well... if we give people freedom.
Linkrlz
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 05:11:46 PM »

Well why should I have a contest with people drawing whatever they want? Might as well make it personal and have my OCs as a must.

I never request fanart. It's not worth my money if it's not personalized. I also appreciate it more.
FrozetaShintoriFan
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »

You have your point. I ask them that their victims look like friends of mine (whose pics I send to them after they accept).

Anyway, I never spend more than 200 Points in a request, and that's from time to time...

Uh... maybe we can come up with some contest rules that may satisfy all of us. Shall we try?
Linkrlz
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:34:17 PM »

I don't know. I'm sketchy on sharing art contest money. Like I said, I like my stuff personalized. If we make this for everybody then it won't really be unique and we all have our different tastes ^^;

I don't like spending money on stuff that isn't mine. I don't even buy myself a premium package on DA. But I'll have to get one soon just to use voting when this contest finishes in two weeks.
FrozetaShintoriFan
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 05:26:42 AM »

Oh... I get it. You have your point, Link... Well, I guess it wasn't a good idea... Sad
Intox
Gorgon Warrior

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 06:40:50 AM »

I think the most important part of said theoretical contest is that it has a central focus.  "Petrification art" is a little broad, but as long as you have people submitting art under the banner of this contest, it will at least seemed to have done its job.

I'd say the poor turnouts of Linkrlz' contests aren't due to strained specifications but more the fact that everybody's tired of the subject material with regards to character. Myself, I generally roll my eyes whenever I see a deviation featuring his "OC's" in it.

All in all, you should at least try. What's the worst that could happen, right?
If you want you can put a clause in the rules or something that requires (x) people to enter before you hand out your hard earned cash. Er, points. Er, whatever. :3
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:42:45 AM by Intox » Logged
Linkrlz
Medusa Golden Knight

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 08:30:59 AM »

Good thing I never gave a fuck about other people's opinions Smiley
Intox
Gorgon Warrior

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 06:35:08 AM »

Link also (inadvertently) brings up another good point: you'll enjoy more success running this contest, with a little bit of respect. This goes both ways, both in being respected --- liked, admired, whatever --- by the people you're appealing to, and respecting others, an act as simple as showing basic dignity towards your fellow artists and potential entrants.

+Example (what to do):
A while back, Alexdemitri over on Deviantart quietly held his own contest. The only criteria he really specified was that it be encasement art, and he got at least ten entries; this was without even offering a prize, save for some drawings for the top 3 (something he did regularly for others, anyway.)  Not bad for something he only advertised in his blog.

-Example (what not to do):
You may already have a clue from reading this thread.

Just get the word out and make people feel it's worth it to enter, not for whatever theoretical prize you may have, but 'for you', so to speak.
(though the prize wouldn't hurt either. ;P)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 06:41:20 AM by Intox » Logged
alexdemitriDA
Gorgon Warrior

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 06:33:19 PM »

Hey, hey~ let's not get too riled up around here, k?
Link has a point too, yeah? I mean, it's nice to see people drawing and customize your characters. To be honest, i would like for others to create variations of my own OC.
But, thing is, i wont be "forcing" others to create it and i think link's OC is easy to make variations with.
Example would be:
http://alexdemitri.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2702mk or an earlier:
http://alexdemitri.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1ojd0d

Sure to some, it seems a bit restricted but then there is no forcing to it too. Art should be at a person's leisure pace and not counted for how many entries you can get.

Even in my contest (as per Intox said), the deadline was 3, maybe 4 months and resulted in 10 drawings but 5,6 artist only (just about the same as Link's now)

so, it's up to the person as to how to hol the contest as you see fit. With that said, im entering his contest and will be uploading it soon.

So, cool down with the "heat", k guys? This should be a fun forum and i'd like it to be that way.

Thanks and sorry if i talk too much. ^ ^;
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: